Ever feel like your knee is “gonna give out?”
That feeling of instability could be a symptom of a greater issue. You may have one of these injuries that can be treated by a variety of non-surgical means:
- Knee Instability: Although “knee instability” isn’t an injury, it can lead to one. It’s possible that your knee simply has some vulnerability and needs some strengthening and stabilization.
- Meniscus Injury: That feeling of instability may be a sign that you have injured or torn your meniscus. The meniscus is a “rubbery” thick piece of cartilage that functions to keep the knee joint stable and absorb forces from walking and running. The meniscus can tear with forceful twisting or rotation of the knee. Symptoms can include many things like pain, swelling, stiffness, or difficulty extending your knee. These often respond very well to non-surgical treatments.
- A Ligament Injury: It’s possible that you may have injured one of the four major ligaments in your knee, the Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL), Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL), the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or the Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL). These ligaments can be injured to varying degrees. Sprains are quite common. If there is more serious damage you may have partially torn the ligament. Both of these injuries respond very well to non-surgical treatments. If you have completely ruptured your ligament we may recommend surgery.
However, it is highly likely that surgery is not necessary and your body can be healed with a variety of non-surgical treatment options. Some of these may include:
- Physical Therapy: Our physical therapists will focus on reducing pain and increasing strength and range of motion. Strengthening the muscles surrounding your knee and throughout your leg will help stabilize your knee.
- Viscosupplementation Injections: Through computer guided imaging, one of our doctors will administer hyaluronic acid injections. These injections allow you to regain range of motion and strength in your knee without any pain or inflammation.
- Regenerative Medicine: Our office utilizes exciting new procedures such as Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, Adult Stem Cell Therapy, and Prolotherapy. All of these procedures are non-invasive and utilize your body’s own healing materials and potential to regenerate and regrow tissue.
All of these non-invasive treatment options have done amazing things for our patients! If you think you have an injury that requires medical attention come in and see one of our board certified professionals! We promise you will get better, faster here. Call 908-756-1960 or book your appointment today.