Our Sprain and Strain Solutions
What is a sprain or strain?
Neck and back sprain/strain is an injury that occurs in the muscles, tendons, and ligaments of the lumbar spine. The most common mechanism with these types of injuries are due to repetitive stress and strain throughout our daily lives.
The lumbar spine is prone to many overuse injuries due to improper posture and poor body mechanics. Symptoms of lumbar sprain/strain can include pain, tenderness, tightness and decreased range of motion.
What are some symptoms of a neck/back sprain/strain?
- Acute Pain
- Dull Back Pain & Stiffness
- Chronic Lower Back Pain
What are some treatments for neck/back strain/sprain?
- Regenerative Medicine: The stem cell treatment process involves extracting regenerative cells from the patient’s body and then injecting the cells directly into the affected area of the sprained or strained tissue. The cells can transform into the type of cell necessary for healing. The addition of platelet rich plasma (PRP) can increase the effectiveness of the cell repair work by amplifying the activity of the regenerative cells. Stem cell treatment is a safe alternative to surgery since the procedure will only use the stem cells and platelets from the patient’s own body. This means that anybody, regardless of their age, could undergo stem cell treatment.
- Injection Based Pain Management: A cortisone injection into the inflamed tendon may reduce pain and accelerate the rehabilitation process.
- Chiropractic Medicine: Chiropractic management utilizes manual therapy and therapeutic exercise in an effort to diminish pain and inflammation, promote tendon healing, improve strength, enhance flexibility and control functional stresses.
- Spinal Decompression Therapy: The DRX9000 spinal decompression system is a 100% non-invasive treatment that utilizes computer technology to provide a gentle spinal decompressive stretch to a specific injured spinal segment. During treatment, disc pressure drops and there is diffusion of water, oxygen and nutrients to the injured spinal segment which are necessary for healing.
- Active Release Technology: In ART, the treating physician/therapist will use their hands in a manual technique to identify regions of dysfunctional muscle, ligament or tendon tissue. Once identified, the physician/therapist will apply specifically directed pressure over the affected or related anatomical structures while the patient performs specific body movements.
- Physical Therapy: At Performance Rehabilitation & Regenerative Medicine, Physical Therapy is fundamentally different than any stand-alone clinics. Both: Physical Therapy Clinic in Watchung and Physical Therapy Clinic in Branchburg have doctorate level physicians that are an integral components in our interdisciplinary team approach to non-surgical orthopedic treatment and is under the direct supervision of a medical physician, who has a specialty in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Acupuncture: Because Acupuncture influences many different body systems, it is used to help treat all types of diseases and body dysfunction. It can be used for chronic or acute conditions like back pain, neck pain, headaches, sciatica, and tendonitis.
- Massage Therapy: Massage Therapy is the hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body which include the muscles, connective tissue (ligaments and tendons) and joints. Widely accepted as part of many physical rehabilitation programs, this therapy can be beneficial in the prevention and treatment of many chronic and acute health problems.
- MLS Laser Therapy: Laser therapy can be used to treat acute conditions and is most effective when it is used as soon as possible following the initial injury. The faster the body’s inflammation is reduced, the sooner the healing process can begin. MLS Laser Therapy can help restore the body to normal function much quicker than other pain relieving interventions.