What is a Sprain or Strain?
Neck and back sprain/strain is an injury that occurs in the muscles, tendons, and ligaments of the lumbar spine. The most common mechanism with these types of injuries are due to repetitive stress and strain throughout our daily lives.
The lumbar spine is prone to many overuse injuries due to improper posture and poor body mechanics. Symptoms of lumbar sprain/strain can include pain, tenderness, tightness and decreased range of motion.
Symptoms of a Sprain/Strain
- Acute Pain
- Dull Back Pain and Stiffness
- Chronic Lower Back Pain
Causes of a Sprain or Strain?
- One of the most common causes of back and neck strain is poor posture. Workplace ergonomics and mobile device use are significant contributors. In instances like these, such as a condition commonly referred to as ‘cell phone neck’, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue become overstretched resulting from the head being held too far forward for an extended duration.
- A sprain or strain can also be the result of a pulled muscle or tendon associated with a single incident such as lifting an object improperly. A chronic strain, one that is long lasting, usually results from overuse due to ongoing, repetitive movements.
Areas of a sprain and strain?
- Cervical Sprain and Strain
- Lumbar Sprain and Strain
- Thoracic Sprain and Strain
Sprain and Strain Solutions in New Jersey
Here at Performance Rehabilitation, we have many options to treat your sprain and strains, including non-surgical and surgical treatments.
Why Choose Performance Rehabilitation & Regenerative Medicine?
Whether you are suffering from a recent or chronic (cervical, lumbar or thoracic spine) condition that is adversely affecting your ability to live life under your terms, our Back Pain Specialists can help you today. To have a consultation with one of our doctors, please contact one of our Patient Care Coordinators at 908-754-1960.