Our ITB Syndrome Solutions
What is Illiotibial Band (ITB) Syndrome?
The ITB is a thick band of connective tissue that runs from the outside of the hip to the outside of the knee. Patients commonly present with pain and tightness at the insertion of the ITB on the knee; however, pain can occur anywhere along the course of the ITB. This injury occurs more often in runners and cyclists with poor foot mechanics and/or weak pelvic muscles.
Symptoms of hip injury include:
- Pain in or around the hip joint, low back or buttock region
- Pain in the groin or front of leg
- Stiffness/pain with movement
- Limping or instability on your feet
- Limited movement of the hip or spine
- Weakness or atrophy in the muscles in the upper leg
What are some treatments for Illiotibial Band (ITB) Syndrome?
- Regenerative Medicine: The stem cell treatment process involves extracting regenerative cells from the patient’s body and then injecting the cells directly into the affected area of the sprained or strained tissue. The cells can transform into the type of cell necessary for healing. The addition of platelet rich plasma (PRP) can increase the effectiveness of the cell repair work by amplifying the activity of the regenerative cells. Stem cell treatment is a safe alternative to surgery since the procedure will only use the stem cells and platelets from the patient’s own body. This means that anybody, regardless of their age, could undergo stem cell treatment.
- Epidural Steroid Injection: Epidural Steroid Injection is an application of Cortisone, a powerful anti-inflammatory steroid into the area that surrounds the spinal cord and the nerves that extend from it, called the epidural space. The steroid that is injected reduces the inflammation or swelling of the nerves in the epidural space. This may reduce pain, tingling, numbness and other symptoms caused by nerve inflammation or swelling.
- Active Release Technology: In ART, the treating physician/therapist will use their hands in a manual technique to identify regions of dysfunctional muscle, ligament or tendon tissue. Once identified, the physician/therapist will apply specifically directed pressure over the affected or related anatomical structures while the patient performs specific body movements.
- Physical Therapy: At Performance Rehabilitation & Regenerative Medicine, Physical Therapy is fundamentally different than any stand-alone clinics. Both: Physical Therapy Clinic in Watchung and Physical Therapy Clinic in Branchburg have doctorate level physicians that are an integral components in our interdisciplinary team approach to non-surgical orthopedic treatment and is under the direct supervision of a medical physician, who has a specialty in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Occupational Therapy: Occupational Therapists commonly treat chronic or acute pain, or problems with coordination, balance, strength, endurance, flexibility, or range of motion. These symptoms can affect your ability to perform basic lifestyle activities or prevent a full return to function.
- Acupuncture: Because Acupuncture influences many different body systems, it is used to help treat all types of diseases and body dysfunction. It can be used for chronic or acute conditions like back pain, neck pain, headaches, sciatica, and tendonitis.
- Massage Therapy: Massage Therapy is the hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body which include the muscles, connective tissue (ligaments and tendons) and joints. Widely accepted as part of many physical rehabilitation programs, this therapy can be beneficial in the prevention and treatment of many chronic and acute health problems.
- MLS Laser Therapy: Laser therapy can be used to treat acute conditions and is most effective when it is used as soon as possible following the initial injury. The faster the body’s inflammation is reduced, the sooner the healing process can begin. MLS Laser Therapy can help restore the body to normal function much quicker than other pain-relieving interventions.
- TENEX Health TX: Tenex Health TX™ is supported by cutting-edge research developed by the Mayo Clinic to solve chronic, unresponsive tendon pain, which until now was lacking a definitive medical solution. Performance Rehabilitation & Regenerative Medicine has partnered with Tenex Health TX™ to offer this minimally invasive technology designed to precisely identify, remove and extract damaged tendon tissue.