Thoracic Spine Degenerative Disc Disease Solutions
What is Thoracic Degenerative Disc Disease?
Degenerative disc disease (DDD) is a condition in the thoracic spine that is an arthritic process that occurs in the discs of the spine, as we age. The discs act as shock absorbers and bear weight, when they begin to degenerate, this can result in many different problems, including pain and stiffness in the thoracic spine. As we age the discs in our mid back have a tendency to lose their hydration and flatten which predisposes us to chronic conditions.
What are some symptoms of Thoracic Degenerative Disc Disease?
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Activity-Specific Pain
- Pain with Inactivity
- Reduced Mobility
- Emergency Symptoms
What are some treatments for Thoracic Degenerative Disc Disease?
- Regenerative Medicine: The stem cell treatment process involves extracting regenerative cells from the patient’s body and then injecting the cells directly into the affected area of the sprained or strained tissue. The cells can transform into the type of cell necessary for healing. The addition of platelet rich plasma (PRP) can increase the effectiveness of the cell repair work by amplifying the activity of the regenerative cells. Stem cell treatment is a safe alternative to surgery since the procedure will only use the stem cells and platelets from the patient’s own body. This means that anybody, regardless of their age, could undergo stem cell treatment.
- Epidural Steroid Injection: Epidural Steroid Injection is an application of Cortisone, a powerful anti-inflammatory steroid into the area that surrounds the spinal cord and the nerves that extend from it, called the epidural space. The steroid that is injected reduces the inflammation or swelling of the nerves in the epidural space. This may reduce pain, tingling, numbness and other symptoms caused by nerve inflammation or swelling.
- Chiropractic Medicine: Chiropractic management utilizes manual therapy and therapeutic exercise in an effort to diminish pain and inflammation, promote tendon healing, improve strength, enhance flexibility and control functional stresses.
- Spinal Decompression Therapy: The DRX9000 spinal decompression system is a 100% non-invasive treatment that utilizes computer technology to provide a gentle spinal decompressive stretch to a specific injured spinal segment. During treatment, disc pressure drops and there is a diffusion of water, oxygen and nutrients to the injured spinal segment which are necessary for healing.
- Active Release Technology: In ART, the treating physician/therapist will use their hands in a manual technique to identify regions of dysfunctional muscle, ligament or tendon tissue. Once identified, the physician/therapist will apply specifically directed pressure over the affected or related anatomical structures while the patient performs specific body movements.
- Physical Therapy: At Performance Rehabilitation & Regenerative Medicine, Physical Therapy is fundamentally different than any stand-alone clinics. Both: Physical Therapy Clinic in Watchung and Physical Therapy Clinic in Branchburg have doctorate level physicians that are an integral components in our interdisciplinary team approach to non-surgical orthopedic treatment and is under the direct supervision of a medical physician, who has a specialty in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Acupuncture: Because Acupuncture influences many different body systems, it is used to help treat all types of diseases and body dysfunction. It can be used for chronic or acute conditions like back pain, neck pain, headaches, sciatica, and tendonitis.
- Massage Therapy: Massage Therapy is the hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body which include the muscles, connective tissue (ligaments and tendons) and joints. Widely accepted as part of many physical rehabilitation programs, this therapy can be beneficial in the prevention and treatment of many chronic and acute health problems.
- MLS Laser Therapy: Laser therapy can be used to treat acute conditions and is most effective when it is used as soon as possible following the initial injury. The faster the body’s inflammation is reduced, the sooner the healing process can begin. MLS Laser Therapy can help restore the body to normal function much quicker than other pain relieving interventions.
Why Choose Performance Rehabilitation & Regenerative Medicine?
Whether you are suffering from a recent or chronic lumbar spine condition that is adversely affecting your ability to live life under your terms, we may be able to help.
To have a consultation with one of our doctors, please contact one of our Patient Care Coordinators at 908-754-1960 or you may contact us online.