Spring Back into Action
Spring has sprung! Now that the weather is finally nice, many of us are starting to do more outdoor activities. Maybe you are planning a garden, doing some landscaping, power washing the house and deck, or maybe you are starting back up on that spring league you’ve joined. Regardless of what you are planning on doing, you should make sure your body has a tune-up before you being your adventure outdoors.
No matter what your fitness level is, you will probably be sore and tired from “springing back into action”. Preparation, injury prevention and using your head are the keys to having a productive weekend in the yard or back on the field. Here are a few tips that can help you complete your outdoor chores or prepare you for being back in the game:
- Warm up! Even if you are doing yard work or gardening, you are still using muscles that haven’t been used in a while. Walk for a few minutes before beginning to get your circulation going.
- Stand up straight! Keep a wide base of support while you stand still and move around if you are raking or sweeping.
- Use your legs to shift your weight side to side instead of twisting.
- Lift properly. We all know to “lift with your legs”, but actually do it! You’ll regret it if you don’t.
- Stay hydrated.
- Be smart. If you’ve had enough, stop. Don’t over do it.
Poor physical condition, poor posture, lack of exercise, and excessive body weight contribute to the number and severity of sprains and strains. So do your best to take good care of yourself throughout the year. Remember that injuries can often be prevented.
Performance Rehabilitation and Integrated Medicine understands how important it is to be able to enjoy the spring weather, especially after the winter we’ve had! We offer a lot of services to “spring you back into action” if your find yourself sore and in a lot of pain after having an active weekend. We offer treatment options for pain management such as chiropractic, physical therapy, and acupuncture.
We don’t want any pain or discomfort to prevent you from enjoying your spring; Contact us for an appointment to learn more about our services.