Lumbar Spine Facet Syndrome Solutions
What is Lumbar Spine Facet Syndrome?
The facet joints in the lumbar spine are small joints in the low back that are surrounded by a joint capsule, that aid in movement of our spine. As a major contributor to pain in the spine these joints often break down and become arthritic over time. When inflammatory changes occur in these joints, pain is produced during extension (arching) of the spine. Often times individuals with facet joint problems will demonstrate a forward flexed posture to relieve the stress on the facet joints.
What are some symptoms of Lumbar Facet Syndrome?
- Direction of Movement
- Radiating Pain
What are some treatments for Lumbar Facet Syndrome?
- Regenerative Medicine: The stem cell treatment process involves extracting regenerative cells from the patient’s body and then injecting the cells directly into the affected area of the sprained or strained tissue. The cells can transform into the type of cell necessary for healing. The addition of platelet rich plasma (PRP) can increase the effectiveness of the cell repair work by amplifying the activity of the regenerative cells. Stem cell treatment is a safe alternative to surgery since the procedure will only use the stem cells and platelets from the patient’s own body. This means that anybody, regardless of their age, could undergo stem cell treatment.
- Chiropractic Medicine: Chiropractic management utilizes manual therapy and therapeutic exercise in an effort to diminish pain and inflammation, promote tendon healing, improve strength, enhance flexibility and control functional stresses.
- Active Release Technology: In ART, the treating physician/therapist will use their hands in a manual technique to identify regions of dysfunctional muscle, ligament or tendon tissue. Once identified, the physician/therapist will apply specifically directed pressure over the affected or related anatomical structures while the patient performs specific body movements.
- Physical Therapy: At Performance Rehabilitation & Regenerative Medicine, Physical Therapy is fundamentally different than any stand-alone clinics. Both: Physical Therapy Clinic in Watchung and Physical Therapy Clinic in Branchburg have doctorate level physicians that are an integral components in our interdisciplinary team approach to non-surgical orthopedic treatment and is under the direct supervision of a medical physician, who has a specialty in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Facet Injection: A facet injection includes both a long-lasting corticosteroid and an anesthetic numbing agent. The drugs are delivered to the painful facet joint, either inside the joint capsule or in the tissue surrounding the joint capsule. Corticosteroid injections can reduce inflammation and can be effective when delivered directly into the painful area. Reducing the pain will allow you to improve your spinal condition with physical therapy and an exercise program.
- Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA): Radio frequency ablation (RFA) is a pain management procedure that is able to provide longer-term pain relief for chronic spinal conditions, which have not responded to more conservative interventions. Patients who are being considered for this procedure have already undergone simple injection techniques like epidural steroid injections or facet joint injections, as well as, physical therapy, chiropractic manipulation therapy, acupuncture and other more conservative treatments.
- Acupuncture: Because Acupuncture influences many different body systems, it is used to help treat all types of diseases and body dysfunction. It can be used for chronic or acute conditions like back pain, neck pain, headaches, sciatica, and tendonitis.
- Massage Therapy: Massage Therapy is the hands-on manipulation of the soft tissues of the body which include the muscles, connective tissue (ligaments and tendons) and joints. Widely accepted as part of many physical rehabilitation programs, this therapy can be beneficial in the prevention and treatment of many chronic and acute health problems.
- MLS Laser Therapy: Laser therapy can be used to treat acute conditions and is most effective when it is used as soon as possible following the initial injury. The faster the body’s inflammation is reduced, the sooner the healing process can begin. MLS Laser Therapy can help restore the body to normal function much quicker than other pain-relieving interventions.
Why Choose Performance Rehabilitation & Regenerative Medicine?
Whether you are suffering from a recent or chronic lumbar spine condition that is adversely affecting your ability to live life under your terms, we may be able to help.
To have a consultation with one of our doctors, please contact one of our Patient Care Coordinators at 908-754-1960 or you may contact us online.